According to WHO, a suicide occurs every 40 seconds and an attempt is made every 3 seconds.
In South African, hanging is the most frequently employed method of suicide, followed by shooting, gasing and burning.
Mental Illness as a Cause of Teen Suicide…. Most teens who attempt suicide do so because of depression, bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder. These disorders amplify the pain a teen may feel. Every test, every heart break feels like the end of the world…..
How do you really feel?
- I feel guilty; I have no confidence ?
- I often feel restless or tired ?
- I like very dangerous activities ?
- I use drugs and/or alcohol on a regular basis ?
What to do if you suspect someone close to you may be contemplating suicide.
The most effective way to prevent suicide is to learn to recognise the signs of someone at risk, take these signs seriously and know how to respond to them.
Previous suicide attempts: Between 20 and 50 percent of people who kill themselves have previously attempted suicide. Those who make serious suicide attempts are at much greater risk of actually taking their lives.
Be concerned about depressed persons if at least five of the following symptoms have been present nearly every day for at least two weeks:
- depressed mood
- change in sleeping patterns
- change in appetite or weight
- fatigue or loss of energy
- thoughts of death or suicide
- Extreme anxiety, agitation
- Excessive drug and / or alcohol use or abuse
- History of physical or emotional illness
Who do I call if I need help?
Mon Ami Trauma Troopers
073 653 4497 /
Elize – 082 578 4847
08 000 55 555 / 018 297-4411